Allens Lane Art Center (ALAC) seeks an Executive Director to lead this vibrant arts organization -- with a
rich and important history. At a moment of change for the institution, ALAC is ready to expand on our
mission to provide, “programs and activities that bring our diverse community together to experience
and support the arts.”
Allens Lane Art Center (ALAC) was founded in 1953 by a diverse group of Mt. Airy residents who were
concerned about the dangers of increasing community tension. Most were parents of children attending
local schools who felt that increasing access to the arts would be a way to bring people together as well
as develop individual talents. Read more about our history and programs here: allenslane.org
Working in partnership with a committed, active board and staff, the Executive Director oversees all
programs, services, and events in support of ALAC's mission, vision, and values.
The Executive Director's top priorities for the first year will be to:
• grow ALAC’s financial capacity by expanding our donor base of individual and institutional
• develop and strengthen its community relations and partnerships.
The successful Executive Director must have a demonstrated love of the arts and an understanding of
the important role that ALAC can play in supporting the diversity and culture of our unique community.
The Executive Director is an exempt employee with a flexible, full-time schedule. The position requires
evenings and/or weekend hours to accommodate activities such as Board meetings, classes, theater
productions, and other events.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Executive Director include the following:
• Participate with the Board in developing and implementing a strategic plan.
• Foster and expand effective, collaborative relationships with Board members, donors, sponsors,
and the community at-large.
• Develop and direct the implementation of ALAC's marketing, communications, and fundraising
Financial Planning & Risk Management
• Oversee the management of financial planning and forecasting, budgeting, and resource
• Develop an annual budget and ensure that appropriate internal controls are in place and
operating as intended.
• Support ALAC's fundraising efforts to diversify and expand funding to support both day-to-day
operations and future growth including individual, foundation, and corporate giving.
Programs & Staff
• Determine staff and volunteer needs, and recruit, select, and manage staff and volunteers with
the qualifications, skills, and personal attributes to help further ALAC's mission.
• Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of ALAC's programs and events and
ensure they contribute to the Center’s mission and reflect the approved priorities and budget.
• Serve as the primary spokesperson for ALAC regarding the accomplishments and needs of the
• Ensure ALAC's visibility and brand recognition through public and media relations, print, and
internet-based platforms including website and social media.
• Establish and maintain strong partnerships with community groups, the media, funders, and
We are seeking a creative and thoughtful leader able to manage both day to day operations while
thinking strategically about the future of the Center. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment
to ALAC’s mission of enriching our diverse community through the arts.
• A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant leadership experience.
• Experience in Arts Administration, Non-Profit Management, or equivalent field a plus.
• Proven track record of successful fundraising.
• Effective at planning and prioritizing the needs and activities of the organization.
• Experience with effectively managing and developing staff and volunteers.
• Strong communication skills, with an ability to effectively represent ALAC to a wide range of
audiences and stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with a Board of Directors.
• Preference given to local candidates.
Compensation: $60,000 - $65,000
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Allens Lane Art Center is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in
the workplace. We strongly welcome applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Please send your resume and cover letter (addressed to Susan Matyas, Board President) via email to
email@example.com. No phone calls, please.