Allens Lane Art Center, Summer Art Camp 2020
Job Title: Program Specialist: Arts and Crafts Instructor
Reports to: Director
To further the mission of Allens Lane Art Center’s Summer Art Camp program through the development and delivery of arts and crafts activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the campers’ age and abilities (ages 5-13). This position will oversee all aspects of the management of the arts and crafts studio, related equipment and supplies.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and deliver an arts and crafts program that is appropriate for the age and ability of the campers
- Write lesson plans that meet camp outcomes and the abilities of the campers.
- Evaluate abilities of campers and staff.
- Design and deliver arts and crafts activities that make use of different art mediums, make use of the camp’s natural environment, and use the art resources most efficiently.
- Evaluate the success of the arts and crafts program.
- Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures
- Assist in the implementation of staff training for arts and crafts.
- Train other staff in their responsibilities at the arts and crafts range.
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in the arts and crafts program area
- Maintain the arts and crafts equipment.
- Ensure the security of the arts and crafts equipment and supplies, including clear inventory and planning for replacement of supplies in a timely manner.
- Conduct a daily check of the area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Clean arts and crafts area, keeping it free of hazards and debris.
Other Job Duties:
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Assist in the planning of any special events especially in the areas of decorations, set design, and costumes.
Documented experience in arts and crafts instruction and/or documented training and experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Training and experience in teaching arts and crafts to children.
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors in varied conditions.
- Experience in designing and making decorations and costumes for special events.
Physical Aspects of the Position:
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Some physical requirements of an arts and crafts position could be endurance including standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requirement for eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to make projects and assist campers. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/program.
Position is a seasonal, salaried position without benefits. Salary commensurate with experience.
For more information, please review our camp pages on our website at: www.allenslane.org
How to apply
Send Resume and Cover letter to:
Allens Lane Art Center
c/o Sherry Ashton, Summer Art Camp Director
601 West Allens Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19119
Or email your submission to: email@example.com with the subject line: Camp Employment
No phone calls please.